Wednesday, March 4, 2015

What's going on in Siem Reap

I've been told that it is time for another blog post, although we don’t have any exciting new travel destinations to speak of, we are having a good time in Cambodia.

In a tragic turn of events, the 2-3 week break from the unholy heat of Cambodia is now officially over, gone are the days of marginal sweat stains as we once again dive pits first into a sea of perspiration. Note: I write a lot about it, because I want you to understand that it’s a hot place to live. They trick you with the words tropical climate, Hawaii has a tropical climate, Cambodia on the other hand has a stinking hot climate, so sweat on we will.

I've got my ghostwriter Hooner by my side as we have tucked back into our room avoiding the worst of the mid-afternoon sun. The A/C is on and we are chilling out.

Phan’s friend Skylar has been in town for about a week, they have been relaxing, getting massages, watching mostly bad romantic comedies, but we are both very happy to see friends from back home and catch up.  Skylar and her husband AJ have been on a traveling adventure for about as long as we've been gone.  AJ was in Phnom Penh for a week working in the Cambodian film archives restoring old films and making friends with a Japanese man who is serving there on a grant.  He has now joined us in Siem Reap and we've been eating and drinking to our hearts content, showing off our little city to friends from San Diego. Skylar picked Cambodia for her birthday, so we’re lucky enough to celebrate with them on her special day.

Skylar & Phan being silly 

In other news, I had my best day at JPA. Phan AND Hooner came out to visit the campus. It was something that I won’t soon forget. Phan spoke to each of my 3 classes. She talked about her experiences growing up, which many of the students related to. She answered questions about her life and family back home. While I can say time and time again the importance of continuing your education, having a real life Cambodian example to see and speak with and laugh with was invaluable to the students. Each of the 3 classes wrote thank you notes to her, they were so sweet! Their letters were so heart felt and genuine. Here is a little bit from one of them.


letters from the students

Phan was a hit with the kids, but her sidekick truly stole the show. Hooner was in top form, doing tricks at the end of each class, running around the classroom, basically having the time of his life and making all the kids smile. I had told some of my friends in the lower school that Hooner would be there and of course they wanted me to go and visit their class so that their students could meet Hoon.  Words quickly spread, so Hooner, Phan and I ended up making Hoon and Tell presentations to the entire elementary school. Some of the kids were afraid of him, but most just loved him. I had to promise one class that I would give their teacher a picture of Hooner to put up in their room so they don’t forget him.

Steve and Hoon on the bus heading to school
Phan and Hoon getting ready to teach


In action
We’ve been spending a lot of time with friends, eating out and trying to be more social. We’re still pretty boring, but we’re improving.

We recently had a 4 day weekend and spent it in town. It was nice to not have to worry about flights and taxis and luggage. We also got to spend a little time with some people we don’t always get a chance to. It was also Chinese new year, year of the goat I’ve been told. Great Parade in Siem Reap, music, dancing, floats, it was a great show with many of the local schools and NGOs participating and enjoying the festivities.




I’ve turned 33 since our last post and am celebrating with a challenge of sorts. I haven’t shaved since January 27, I am allowed to trim, but Phan doesn’t think I can make it until we get back. With hot season just kicking off, don’t know how smart I was on this one. One interesting note, I’ve gotten a lot of compliments about my beard, people seem to like the idea of me covering up my face with hair.
We were invited to a reception for the king of Cambodia, but decided it wasn’t for us.  We did go to dinner with a friend who generously treated us to a great meal at one of the fancy places in town. We both had a really tasty rib eye, paired with delicious wines from Australia, it was pretty good stuff. The place is called Abacas, and they reserved an entire room for us to enjoy a great meal and celebrate Lindsay’s birthday. Lindsay is one of our Australian friends that we met up with in Melbourne over Christmas.

We’re up to three runners in the morning, Elaine has joined Troy and I at 5:30 for our runs, she has little legs, so she takes a lot steps, sometimes it reminds me of running with Hooner. She can move though, she finished the half marathon in less than 2 hours. We even got CJ to run, he was good for the 1st 2 miles, but then he hit a pretty substantial wall and the last time I saw him he was desperately searching for a tuk tuk to give him a ride home.



Missing home, but looking forward to some March madness. No big travel plans for spring break, I should probably get on that. By then it will be a full blown inferno here, so heading for cover somewhere will probably be wise. (Some random photos below for your viewing)

Phan and her sour mango lady

Young mangos and guavas

Hoon met a friend at the Royal Garden 
Had to stop for a photo
           

Superbowl Party
Us with Skylar & AJ

Phan waiting for sour mangos
More to come down the line. For now we are enjoying a visit from friends and making the most of our time.


Steve, phan, hoon

No comments:

Post a Comment